Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Joy Sushi


When it comes to unique ingredients and concoctions, I am genuinely impressed. Like past blogs, I tend to enjoy places that have something different, such as a special sauce. With Joy Sushi, it's definitely their special sauce that they pour over and glaze on their sushi rolls. The variety of rolls they have and complementing combination have always satisfied me. I've ordered at least eight different rolls and have never been disappointed with any of them. Recently, I tried the Geisha roll, with fried calamari topped with white tuna and a speck of hot sauce, and I enjoyed it immensely. It's rare for me to find a roll with white tuna, as most rolls are made with either salmon and/or red tuna. Besides their rolls, I also enjoy their entrees. Although whenever I come, I have a tendency of just ordering rolls. The salmon entrees tend to be good; I tend to be apathetic towards the chicken and beef, only because there is nothing truly spectacular about the way it's prepared. I'm not entirely sure of how their katsu is prepared, but based on their other entrees I would assume that it's either standard or really good. The service is wonderful and the staff are extremely friendly. A few years ago, I'd say you should either make a reservation or go a bit early (around 11 am for lunch and 5 pm for dinner). However, the restaurants in this part of San Mateo has grown primarily with Japanese cuisine. Nearly every block on a 5-block radius has at least one Japanese restaurant. That being said, with the competition of other restaurants, the wait at Joy Sushi is no longer an issue. I'm glad to see that Joy Sushi is still around even with all the new Japanese restaurants surrounding it.


Yelp Review
30 S B Street
San Mateo, CA 94401

No comments:

Post a Comment