Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My Kind of Breakfast

When I was little, my mom and grandparents loved making congee (burmese - san byohk) with you tiao and scallion pancakes and eggs. I loved eating this as breakfast every morning. My parents have a highly mixed Asian heritage. Although they are Chinese, my parents reflect cultural traditions originating in Burma (Myanmar), Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. With my mother's native language being hokkien and mandarin and my dad's cantonese, it's kind of difficult for my family to find a universal language, which is probably why I picked up Burmese and English more easily than any of the others. Nevertheless, food has been one of the few things we've all been able to agree on. Unfortunately, the types of places in Norcal that sells this kind of food is limited with just fairly decent quality.


However, in Southern California, there are many great asian food places that are at affordable prices. Of these places, Four Sea, serves my ideal traditional breakfast. I love coming here for the food and of course the peanut soup drink. <3


Some dishes that are featured in Four Sea include: both salty and sweet soy milk, turnip cake, you tiao, dan bing, sticky rice with dried pork in the center, green onion pancake, peanut soup drink, beef noodle soup and many more traditional foods. All the foods taste pretty close to what you'd find in Asia. The soy milk is a bit rich and the peanut drink has just the right consistency. The texture of the sticky rice is wonderful, and all the other dishes are decent to great quality.

The price range is affordable ($2-$6) and the quality is top-notch and comparable to the food in Asia. If you're fortunate enough to be around the area and too lazy to make breakfast, it's a great place to sit or to-go breakfast. I usually go once whenever I'm down in the area. :)

Four Sea Restauant
2020 S Hacienda Blvd
Hacienda Heights, CA 91745
Yelp Reivew

No comments:

Post a Comment