Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Chocolate Chip Brownie-Cookie

I love to bake, and many of you who know me most likely have tried some of my baked goods. One of my specialties is my giant chocolate chip cookie with a dash of hazelnut, which I perfected over the years after being inspired by BJ's Brewery pizookie. I usually like baking these cookies fresh and tell people to add some ice cream on top (the way BJ's serves pizookies).

Recently, a friend of mine really wanted me to bake him a giant cookie. He actually requested for both a giant cookie and batch of brownies. But with the time I had, I only had time to bake one of the two. This gave me the motivation to bake a 2-in-1 deal, taking the essence of brownie batter and the mild sweetness of brown sugar in chocolate chip cookies into creating one giant brownie-cookie. I tested this recipe last night and shared it with him along with other people in my fraternity. They all agreed it was really good, although in my opinion there was room for improvement like enhancing the richness in chocolate and the chewiness of the center of the cookie. Other than that, I am more than happy to share this recipe I modified. Also, I'm kind of glad I'm finally sharing some of the stuff I cook at home because I do love cooking as well (the kitchen is like a lab to me).


Ingredients:
2 c (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c (1 stick) butter
3 large eggs
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c cocoa powder (preferably unsweetened)
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking soda

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease 9 inch round cake pan.
2. In a skillet, melt butter with 3/4 the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
3. Remove from heat when chocolate-butter mixture is smooth. Add eggs one at a time while stirring.
4. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, both sugars, baking soda and vanilla extract.
5. Gradually stir in flour mixture until batter is consistently smooth.
6. Spread the batter into the round cake pan (a spatula helps). Add the remaining 1/4 chocolate chips to the top of the spread (the batter will be slightly hot and adding the chips beforehand will melt the chocolate into the batter).
7. Bake for 18-25 minutes (check 15 minutes with a toothpick) until desired softness/hardness
8. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment