Saturday, March 6, 2010

In my opinion, Berkeley's Best Indian Place


Berkeley is teeming with different Indian style cuisines. With parents who grew up in Burma, I've grown to love the spiciness of curry and savory naan breads. For the first couple of years at Berkeley, I've gone to chain places such as Naan n Curry and House of Curries. Both of which are respected Indian restaurants close to campus. People have their preference over which one is better, but to me they both are very similar in entrees and the taste. After a while, I just wasn't as impressed with these places. I simply went there for the sake of reasonably priced Indian food at a close distance to campus and my apartment.

Just last semester, I stumbled upon a new Indian Restaurant for a reunion with friends. Many people may have heard of Kabab and Karahi but never attempted to go past Dwight and Telegraph to try it out. Just to let you guys know, Kabab and Karahi has recently changed its name to the Royal Indian Cuisine. The cooks, staff, and owners are the same, only the name changed.


The quality of the food of the Royal Indian Cuisine, I feel, is much more authentic and less americanized. This is judged by the style the food is prepared in and the degree of spiciness. Real Indian food is much more spicy in comparison to Naan n Curry and House of Curries. Although the two chains prepare their curry dishes that's more friendly to Americans who cannot handle extremely spicy food, the Royal Indian Cuisine can provide moderately mild food if requested. Besides the curry, what I love most about this place is their naan. Although it's not a thick flatbread like the two chain restaurants, its crispiness and texture is just right. My preference is the garlic naan, which taste wonderfully buttery and garlic-y. The onion naan is not as great because the toppings make the naan a bit too salty for me.


With respect to the curry dishes, the chicken tikka masala is quite different from Naan n Curry and House of Curries. Some people may enjoy the difference in consistency, while others prefer the other tikka masala. Nevertheless, all their other curry dishes are of better quality. Some of my favorite dishes to order include coconut chicken curry, spinach and chicken, cauliflower and potatoes, and I have yet to try but will in good time the curry dish with apricots. Ever since I came here the first time last semester, I've come here at least 4 or 5 other times in less than a year, which tells you how much I enjoy the food at this place.

Fortunately, since nobody seems to like to go this far to try the place, seating is never an issue. There are plenty of seats and the service is always friendly. Prices are about the same in comparison to the chain restaurants, so most meals cost under $10 a person. I love coming here and bringing friends who never try it because they end up loving the food here.

The Royal Indian Cuisine
2566 Telegraph Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94704
Yelp Review

1 comment:

  1. I am a food fanatic and I stumbled across your blog while searching for something else on google.
    on the subject of best indian food in berkeley, I have to disagree with you. If you haven't already go to shattuck and university and try India Palace or Viceroy Cusine. Both those places serve excellent buffets much much much more tastier than Naan-n-Curry or HOC.
    Or if you walk a little further down university you will come across an Indian Chaat House [the place is across from udipi palace], try the tandoori platter and you will be amazed :)

    ReplyDelete